Is it important to devote time to develop social networks through the web?
Undoubtedly, an increasing percentage of professionals use at least one social network site, which is used daily by many to publish more than photos and videos, comments and needs (including work related ones). Professionals agree to conduct business meetings after finding each other in these social networks where they are grouped according to interests and can be part of virtual communities. They also seek access to contacts, strategic allies, suppliers, customers, personnel, among other requirements, allowing relationships with their own contacts and in turn with other contacts to be made. The value of networking is being considered by all executives because of the exponential factor that it generates because contacts of the people we know most likely get to shoot in every sense, even to find a better job.
What aspects should be considered to maximize the potential of executives through social networks?
Social networks show our image massively around the web, it is therefore essential to be careful with issues such as:
- Choose a title that positions us into an area such as marketing, finance, human resources, etc.
- Delete contacts on sites such as Facebook, MySpace or Twitter that can be embarrassing and do not add value to our profile.
- Eliminate shameful photos showing aspects of life that should remain in the intimacy of a small group.
- Create a network of contacts whose profiles are professionally solid.
- Create a complete blog with information on professional experience.
- Display a healthy social life that does not become the most important message to transmit over the web, which would even be dangerous.
- Use sites such as Twitter, Facebook or LinkedIn to investigate people with whom we will have job interviews. Relationships can be made from common interests.
- Share useful information with friends so they will also become our own network of employment if they notice any position that suits our interests.
- Keep your professional profile up to date: include news, accept recommendations and seek further contacts continuously.
In Peru, which do you believe are the most active social networks that have the best results in the job search?
There are many social networks that can be active and can help us to find a new job. In my opinion, Facebook is one of the most popular because since it brings together people from different sectors, social levels and ages, it is the first reference to which companies like ours turn when trying to contact a person. This site brings together more than 350 million members, which makes it the largest social network in the world. On the other hand, there is LinkedIn, which is a network that shows directive profiles whose goal is to display the experience and professional skills, while mentioning interests and stating what each executive can bring onto the table. In this network, millions of people complete a questionnaire as if it were a resume, and while it is not a job search site, it has become an interesting tool, especially when looking for candidates for high level positions.
Other sources are: Neurona, which has a clear focus on job search; Twitter, which is also oriented to executive behavior and has over 55 million users worldwide. Another very active network, more in Europe than in America though, is Xing, where people can upload job offers for free. This site has its own job portfolio and thousands of recruiters and head hunters who seek talent among its users. Both Twitter and Facebook have created applications that allow you to insert job offers or CVs, but they are still little crowded in our environment.
Today, besides the well-known professional networks, there are specialized professional networks, such as CVexplorer.com, which has been being used for some years now amongst the European community by managers and executives.
LivinginPeru.com presents a weekly article on human resources and Peru’s job climate from Aptitus, Peru’s top job classifieds. Visit Aptitus online to search for jobs and upload your CV.