It’s summer time here in the United States! I don’t know about you, but I wait all year for this season. While I am not too keen on spending my days frolicking in the sunshine (I turn lobster red within 10 minutes of sun exposure), I do crave summer foods like nobody’s business.
Of course with the summer season comes picnics, family get-togethers and BBQs,
which means you will be getting your full of potato salads, pasta salads, BBQ pork sandwiches and every other traditional cookout food. But what if you are looking to bring something new (and healthier) to the picnic table this summer? Well then I’ve got the recipe for you!
Asparagus takes the main stage in this salad, with its bright color and earthy taste, and provides a shot of nutrition that you won’t find at most of your typical BBQs. And with Peru’s “production of asparagus”:http://www.peruthisweek.com/noticias-de-asparagus-8312?pid=1 booming, asparagus is available almost year round now!
* Glutathione, a strong antioxidant that provides natural detoxifying benefits for the liver (Read “Where Is Your Liver”:http://www.superfoodliving.com/where-is-your-liver-and-what-does-it-do-liver-101 for more information about how crucial liver health is!)
* Fiber, foliate, iron, and vitamins A, C, E and K
* Is a natural diuretic, which is beneficial to those with high blood pressure
* Supports healthy bacteria in the gut
And that’s just a few of the benefits of this super vegetable! And while it may be good for you, this recipe is so delicious that no one will even notice they are eating something healthy.
The best part of this salad is that it really isn’t a salad at all, which in my book makes it a winner right off the bat. Light and flavorful, this dish requires little prep, a short time of cooking, and a few simple ingredients that are available abundantly in the summer months.
*Asparagus, Tomato & Feta Salad*
Serves 4 as a side dish
* 1 bunch asparagus, stems removed
* 1 Roma tomato, diced
* 1 tablespoon olive oil
* 2 cloves garlic, minced
* 1/4 cup feta cheese
* sea salt
1. Heat the oil in a large pan.
2. Add minced garlic, sautéing until flavorful. Turn down heat to medium.
3. Add asparagus, covering and cooking for 5 to 10 minutes or until asparagus reaches desired tenderness level.
4. Remove from heat.
5. Add asparagus to a large bowl, along with the diced tomato, feta cheese and sea salt.
6. Toss to mix.
7. Serve warm or chilled. Enjoy!