As an American, “Thanksgiving”:http://www.peruthisweek.com/blogs-giving-gracias-how-lima-gives-thanks-thanksgiving-peru-lima-101564 is very important to me as it is for many people. Living in Peru and preparing thanksgiving dinner “might be difficult”:http://www.peruthisweek.com/food/recipes. So I’m going to share with you some “recipes”:http://www.peruthisweek.com/food/recipes and places to help you enjoy a delicious thanksgiving meal.
Unlike the U.S. it’s hard to find pumpkin and pecan pies, but we’re in luck, because our advice columnist “Sadie”:http://www.peruthisweek.com/noticias-de-ask-sadie-9003?pid=4 has written an article about “where to find pies for Thanksgiving. “:http://www.peruthisweek.com/blogs-ask-sadie-where-to-get-pies-for-thanksgiving-in-peru-104533
If you don’t want to go through the trouble of cooking and making a mess in the kitchen, the “JW Marriot Hotel”:http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/limdt-jw-marriott-hotel-lima/ in Miraflores is hosting a Thanksgiving buffet like they have in the past you can find the information in our “events calendar”:http://www.peruthisweek.com/events-thanksgiving-at-the-marriott-11407.
*My grandmother Raquel’s sweet potatoes with marshmallows*
I’m not a big fan of sweet potatoes, but during thanksgiving my mother would and still does make my grandmother’s sweet potatoes.
1 kilo of sweet potatoes
1-cup orange juice
5 cloves or to taste
1 stick of cinnamon
1 bag of marshmallows
1. Boil sweet potatoes until fully cooked.
2. Peel and smash the potatoes, however amount of cups the sweet potatoes gives you this will be the same amount of sugar at you will add, with the sugar and smashed sweet potatoes you will then add cinnamon and cloves.
3. Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius or 360 degrees Fahrenheit. Move the purée from the flame when it starts to smell of clove and cinnamon.
4. Grate the pineapple and with its juice and all you will add it to the purée with 1 cup of orange juice, put the mixture back on the flame and stir constantly so that it doesn’t stick, be careful as the purée tends to bubble and splash a bit.
5. As the purée cooks when you can see the bottom of the pot this indicates that it’s ready.
6. Place the purée in a pyrex or bowl that can go into the oven, put normal sized marshmallows on the top of purée and place the bowl in the oven at the indicated temperature, when the marshmallows are melted and a nice honey color then it’s ready to take out of the oven and ready to serve.
4-5 big white or red potatoes
Garlic pepper or normal pepper
2 cookie sheets
1. Preheat oven to 360 degrees Fahrenheit or 180 degrees Celsius. As the oven is heating, slice potatoes into wedges.
2. On two dark cookie sheets with a basting brush use it to spread olive oil evenly on the sheets.
3. After your cookie sheets are oiled place potato wedges in rows on sheets, spread some more olive oil on top of the potatoes as well then salt and pepper potatoes to taste.