If you love the beach and are looking for adventure or relaxation, but prefer someplace different and away from the daily grind, this is for you. The following destinations are hidden and full of unique experiences: good waves and delicious food.
These six Peruvian beaches will allow you to take advantage of summer by searching for the sun and sea in a new location. From Lima to Arequipa, the prettiest beaches to spend a relaxing moment with family and loved ones are here.
1. Jihuay: At the height of kilometer 594, in Arequipa, this beach is located just at approximately one kilometer from the road. It has white sand, blue waves and you can rent an hour near it for six to eight people for just US$200 for a night.
2. Cantos Rodados: This beach is located in Ancash located on the Santa Island. To get there, it’s necessary to make a trip in a boat for 45 minutes from Puerto Coishco. The place is full of bird (around 17 species) that hang out on the many rocks that surround it.
3. Caleta San Jose: This beach is located in Arequipa and it’s known for it’s animal viewing. You can find penguins and sea lions everywhere. Apart from that, you can also ride a Kayak since the waters are so calm.
4. Caleta Vidal: At 180 kilometers from the capital, you can find this beach that forms part of a joint of beaches that shine for their beauty. It’s hidden between mountains and it’s best to access through the ocean in a boat.
5. Lampay: Close to Lima, on the kilometer 182 of the Panamericana Norte. There are many caves that can be observed from the shore and natural huge walls surround it. It’s ideal if you want to escape the city rush.
6. Caleta Ancumpita: Located in Arequipa and it might seem like a huge pool since it is surrounded by rock formations. It’s known for having really big depths and that’s why many people like to dive there. To get there you need to take a boat journey from San Jose.
What about you readers, what beaches would you recommend?
Now that we’re in mid-summer, what’s better than discovering new beaches where you can calm down the sun?
Now that you're here:
We're asking you, our reader, to make a contribution in support of our digital guide in order to keep informing, updating and inspiring people to visit Peru. Why now? In our near 20-year journey as the leading English-language source on travel in Peru, we've had our fair share of ups and downs-but nothing quite like the challenges brought forth in the first quarter of 2020.
By adapting to the changing face of the tourism and travel industry (on both local and international levels), we have no doubt we will come out stronger-especially with the support of our community. Because you will travel again, and we will be ready to show you the best of Peru.
Your financial support means we can keep sharing the best of Peru through high-quality stories, videos and insights provided by our dedicated team of contributors and editors based in Peru. And of course, We are here to answer your questions and help whenever you need us.
As well, it makes possible our commitment to support local and small businesses that make your visit an unforgettable one. Your support will help the people working in these industries get back on their feet once the world allows us to make our dream of enjoying everything Peru has to offer a reality again-from its mouthwatering gastronomy, thriving Amazon and archaeological wonders such as Machu Picchu.
Together, we will find a way through this. As a member of our community, your contribution, however big or small, is valuable.