The Sacred Valley is one of twenty-five places that are in urgent need of conservation, according to the World Monuments Fund (WMF).
Along with historial sites like Notre Dame and natural wonders like Bears Ears National Monument in the U.S., the Sacred Valley was selected as a 2020 at-risk site by the WMF. The list, which comes out every two years, includes cultural heritage sites nominated by various entities, communities and individuals. These are then chosen by an independent panel of experts.
The sites on the list will be eligible to receive USD $1 million in funding for its conservation by the WMF’s sponsor, American Express.
According to a WMF video highlighting each site, the Sacred Valley of the Incas was included in the list because of the risks involved in the creation of the Chinchero airport. As part of the watch list, the advantage will be to “shine a light on thinking about how regional planning should proceed,” in order to “find a balance to allow more people to discover the world’s treasures while not destroying them.”
Along with providing the funding to one of the sites, the WMF will work closely with local advocacy groups and conservation specialists to preserve these sites for the future.
Here is the complete list:
1. Koutammakou, Land of the Batammariba, Benin, and Togo
2. Ontario Place, Canada
3. Rapa Nui National Park, Chile
4. Alexan Palace, Egypt
5. Notre-Dame de Paris, France
6. Tusheti National Park, Georgia
7. Gingerbread Neighborhood of Port-au-Prince, Haiti
8. Historic Water Systems of the Deccan Plateau, India
9. Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel Stadium, India
10. Mam Rashan Shrine, Iraq
11. Inari-yu Bathhouse, Japan
12. Iwamatsu District, Japan
13. Canal Nacional, Mexico
14. Choijin Lama Temple, Mongolia
15. Traditional Burmese Teak Farmhouses, Myanmar
16. Chivas and Chaityas of the Kathmandu Valley, Nepal
17. Anarkali Bazaar, Pakistan
18. Sacred Valley of the Incas, Peru
19. Kindler Chapel, Pabianice Evangelical Cemetery, Poland
20. Courtyard Houses of Axerquía, Spain
21. Bennerley Viaduct, United Kingdom
22. Bears Ears National Monument, US
23. Central Aguirre Historic District, US
24. San Antonio Woolworth Building, US
25. Traditional Houses in the Old Jewish Mahalla of Bukhara, Uzbekistan
Cover Photo: AmaraPhotos.com