Peru is the world leader in counterfeiting fake money. Here is the inside story of this huge industry which is based in Lima.
Those of us who have lived in Peru are very aware that the streets are flooded with fake money. It’s important that travelers be mindful when they are dealing with money in Peru.
Vice recently went undercover in order to explore the depths of this organized and booming industry.
Tips for identifying if your dollars are real
- The best way to get real dollars is from an ATM. Also, this is usually the best place to get the fairest exchange rates between currencies.
- Check the feel of the money. Does it have the same texture as other bills that you have?
- If you grab a bill with both hands and yank at the money, does it stay firm?
- You can find pens on the street which detect fake money when you pass it across the bill in question.
- When in doubt, ask a local to verify the authenticity of the money you have. Or better, go to a bank and ask a teller to verify the legitimacy of the money you have.
Cover art: Wikimedia
Now that you're here:
We're asking you, our reader, to make a contribution in support of our digital guide in order to keep informing, updating and inspiring people to visit Peru. Why now? In our near 20-year journey as the leading English-language source on travel in Peru, we've had our fair share of ups and downs-but nothing quite like the challenges brought forth in the first quarter of 2020.
By adapting to the changing face of the tourism and travel industry (on both local and international levels), we have no doubt we will come out stronger-especially with the support of our community. Because you will travel again, and we will be ready to show you the best of Peru.
Your financial support means we can keep sharing the best of Peru through high-quality stories, videos and insights provided by our dedicated team of contributors and editors based in Peru. And of course, We are here to answer your questions and help whenever you need us.
As well, it makes possible our commitment to support local and small businesses that make your visit an unforgettable one. Your support will help the people working in these industries get back on their feet once the world allows us to make our dream of enjoying everything Peru has to offer a reality again-from its mouthwatering gastronomy, thriving Amazon and archaeological wonders such as Machu Picchu.
Together, we will find a way through this. As a member of our community, your contribution, however big or small, is valuable.