After declaring a sanitary alert in the country because of 22 people allegedly affected by the Guillain-Barré Syndrome, Peru now makes a call for calm for discovering its possible cause.“In the department of La Libertad, in the northwest of the country, there are already at least 22 possible affected, four in the capital, Lima, and two others in different places”, informed Euro News today.
The cause of the disease could be enterovirus D68, detected in 6 of the confirmed cases. This virus, which can be transmitted by respiratory or fecal-oral, causes in the first weeks flu-like symptoms. However, not everyone affected develops the Guillain-Barré Syndrome, which causes paralysis and can be lethal.It is a rare disorder that causes the immune system to attack the peripheral nervous system which makes the transmission of signals difficult, and as a result, muscles have problems responding to brain signals. As advice to avoid contagion, it is recommended an extreme hygiene and hand washing, as well as fruits and vegetables before consuming them. EsSalud recommends the following:
- Wash your hands frequently;
- Do not eat in places of doubtful hygiene;
- Wash fruits and vegetables that will be eaten raw;
- Avoid contact with people with respiratory infections;
- Use mosquito repellent or mosquito nets to avoid being bitten by an insect;
- If you show signs of muscle weakness that last less than a week, go to the closest EsSalud establishment as soon as possible.