“A forest fire can be caused by several causes”, she wrote, explaining that some of those can be agricultural practices, prolonged droughts, indiscriminate deforestation or even a simple cigarette butt. And what can Peru do to alleviate the situation? María Elena has some suggestions:
1. Read and spread the news to help raise awareness about our Amazon. However, it is important to check the credibility of the source of information before sharing.
2. Use your social media to request that the government take immediate action in this and put together a plan.
3. Ask the media for a space in their news and political programs to inform about public and private advances to fight deforestation and forest fires.
4. Help with what you can monetarily. There are many NGOs that are dedicated to the conservation of the biodiversity, forests and local natural protected areas and need constant funding.
5. Live and feel the forests, visit them, enjoy them, but take care of them.
María Elena Gutiérrez is a specialist in ecological economics, biodiversity and climate change and an innovation manager at Biopower Capital.
Cover Photo Krewlex.
We help you find yourself in Peru. Since 2003, we have led the way as an authoritative and reliable English-language resource for those interested in traveling, living, working, and investing in Peru. We are a team of dedicated individuals who are passionate about delivering reliable and unbiased content and providing amazing experiences for people visiting Peru.