By 2019, 56% of Peruvian women aged 15 to 49 use some form of modern contraceptive method, according to a recent study prepared by the United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA). Meanwhile, the other 44% of them do not use them.
According to the report “State of World Population 2019. A pending issue: the defense of the rights and the freedom to decide of all people”, despite the high percentage of women who do not yet use modern contraceptive methods (contraceptive pills, sterilization, hormonal implants, intrauterine devices, condoms, etc.), in Peru there is a growing trend in its use.
“UNFPA established that in 1969, only 10% of Peruvian women used these methods”, El Comercio said. Then, in 1994 this figure was 39%.
Peru’s figures are similar to the world average, which is 58% of women using contraceptive methods. Nevertheless, the country is below the average of the region.