Gaston Acurio posted a touching message on Facebook with the first 100 recipes that “define us as a nation.”
How best to celebrate Peru’s two-hundredth anniversary than with its most iconic 200 recipes? That is the project that Gaston Acurio has embarked on.
The famous chef recently posted his selection of the first 100 recipes on Facebook.
And they look amazing!
In his post, Acurio admitted that it still wouldn’t be enough to truly “make justice and honor all our diversity.”
Also in his moving message, Gaston Acurio said:
“Today we have reached one hundred bicentennial dishes. One hundred stories and recipes behind the first hundred dishes that today define us as a nation of all bloods, whose kitchen knew how to collect all the sentiment and memory of all the peoples of Peru and the world that grew in our land, giving life [with] each dish to a beautiful miscegenation that today fills us with pride and hope in the future of Peru.”
Now, let’s get inspired (and hungry!) with some of Gaston Acurio’s selected recipes:
1. Ají de gallina:
2. Causa Rellena:
Have you tried the Crab Causa Rellena?
4. Patita con maní (Pig’s feet with peanuts):
5. Seco de cordero (Peruvian lamb stew):
6. Pastel de choclo (Peruvian corn pudding):
Check out our recipe here.
7. Picante a la Tacneña (Tacna style tripe):
8. Menestrón (Minestrone):
10. Chupe de Camarones (Peruvian shrimp chowder)
11. Sopa seca with Carapulcra
12. Chicharron sandwich:
13. Majado de yuca:
14. Mussel soup:
15. Papa a la Huancaína:
Learn how to prepare ceviche here.
17. Arroz con pato (Rice with duck):
18. Olluquito con charqui (Ullucus with dried salted meat):
20. Arroz tapado (Covered rice):
We also published a recipe a while back. Check it out here.
22. Rocoto relleno (Stuffed Rocoto Pepper):
25. Salchicha Huachana sandwich:
26. Seco de chabelo:
27. Suspiro Limeño:
28. Solterito Arequipeño:
29. Papa rellena (Stuffed potato):
33. Green tamales:
35. Fried yuca:
36. Turrón de Doña Pepa:
37. Hen soup:
38. Pejerrey arrebozado (Fried silverside):
39. Tallarín saltado (Stir-fried noodles):
40. Pollo a la braza (Peruvian rotisserie chicken):
43. Peruvian tamales:
45. Conchitas a la parmesana:
46. Sudado de pescado:
47. Picante de habas (Lima bean stew):
48. Peruvian roast beef:
Gaston Acurio’s recipes collection project is still unfinished
In the rest of his post, the chef acknowledged how difficult a task it is to choose only 200 recipes. In it, he added:
“Surely you already know what dishes are missing to register and share. From our coast, fish passed through water, the majariscos, the banana ball soup, the theologian soup. From our Andes, the ajiaco, the timpusca, the spicy puca, the oxtail, the mushroom kapchi, the quinoa tamalada, from our Amazon, the juane, the nina juane, the patarashca, the tacacho with cecina. Of our sweets, zambito rice, purple mazamorra, frozen cheese. And many more that will allow us to celebrate together, the 200 bicentennial dishes.”
Check out the rest of the recipes Gaston Acurio collected on Facebook.
Cover photo: Pan American Health Organization (Flickr)